This page is intended to to direct the user to sources of Public Records relating to Takeley.
A principal source of public information relating to Takeley is to be found in the Essex Record Office in Chelmsford which holds the archives for this area.
The catalogue to the Essex Record Office is called SEAX and can be accessed over the web
For access to the Holy Trinity Takeley Baptism, Marriage and Funeral records in Microsoft Excel format the Takeley Holy Trinity Church website is the place to go
For access to the Takeley Chapel Baptism, Marriage and Funeral records in Microsoft Excel please look at our Takeley Chapel Records page.
Probably our oldest "Public Record" of Takeley is from the Domesday book. This gives us:
HUNDRED OF UTTLESFORD
St. Valery's holds TAKELEY which Thorkell, a free man, held before 1066, for ½ hide. Always 2 ploughs in lordship; 3 men's ploughs. 8 villagers; then and later 3 smallholders, now 5; always 2 slaves.
Woodland then and later, 1000 pigs, now 600; meadow, 24 acres; then and later 1 mill, now ½. 3 cobs, 4 cattle, 30 pigs, 28 sheep, 50 goats, 5 beehives.
Value then and later £6; now £7.