Takeley Nursery was situated at the end of Jacks Lane, Takeley and was built on land that was originally Jacks Green Farm. The nursery stretched from Jacks Lane in the north to the A120 to the south and was bounded to the east by the Takeley/Little Canfield boundary.
Bill Marshall worked there for 34 years from 1947 – 1981 and in 2001 thought it was the right time to put his memories in writing as the site is scheduled for demolition for new housing development.
Bill's report covers the time from 1877 when the land was bought by the Garrett family to 2001 when the site was photographed in a derelict state. Details of crops grown, lists of workers, maps and reminiscences are all included.